Sunday, September 22, 2013

Anthropology of Nature: Week 4 - 20130922

This blog entry is part of a project for the class Anthropology of Nature. 

Oh, what a week, what a week. I argue the validity of any claiming of humans at the top of the food chain; especially when I've spent so many days at the mercy of microorganisms. As it happens, I am still rather 'half-dead', and am going to 'wing it'.

I had two 'nature' encounters this week; one a strangely ironic farce (so fun though) and the other a combination supplication and stewardship...




Last Sunday, husband and I ran a 5k at a large nearby zoo. In a light drizzle we ran through the zoo, stopping in the midst of our unnecessary display of freedom to gawk at huge, beautiful, animals in pens and behind glass. People stopped to pose in cardboard cutouts that placed their face on the body of a nearby captive animal, and roared as they had their pictures taken. I do like zoos, I really do. They always make me a little sad, though. Our entry fee came with entrance to the zoo, and we wandered around for a couple hours to see animals from around the world. I took photos and videos of birds I'd never heard of, and joked that we were melting in the sun while the equatorial beasts probably found the temperature a bit mild. (Note, we ignore acclimatization and likely micro-adaption caused by the breeding of equatorial animals captive in North American climes.) So many signs stated that this or that species was rare in the wild now. One species of horn and hoof animal only still "thrives" in captivity... in Texas. Is this still nature? Pens with plaster cliffs and Floridian plants, housing animals from far away biomes. Is it still educational or responsible to breed these animals as a sort of living museum piece?


Yesterday I participated in the Ocean Conservancy's International Coastal Cleanup. I signed up at a local 'beach' (heh) and picked up garbage. My beach turned out to be a mangrove swamp, so I sit here trying not to scratch the no-see-em bites I earned from wearing shorts and a T-shirt. We picked up 610 pounds of garbage, filled 34 big black trash bags, and found a variety of weird and dangerous stuff. Here we are, part of the population not caring what they do to their environment because their interaction with anything other than a glowing screen or an adult beverage is minimal and superficial, and part of the population believing that they are thinking beyond their generation by cleaning up after the first set of people. And yet, as I picked plastic bottle caps out of the flotsam I watched other volunteers drinking from their own single-use plastic water bottles. I picked plastic ribbons out of the weeds and noted the plastic ribbon built-in to my black-plastic trashbag to tie it closed. I had no idea that plastic straws were such a problem. I found piles of them together, as if their particular shape and density meant that they would end up travelling together and thereby getting deposited together. Plasticware. Cigarette butts (a personal pet peeve of mine). Cigar tips (which I didn't really know existed until yesterday). Tons of photodegraded plastic, which I imagined in the belly of a dead albatross somewhere. We found HUGE blocks of styrofoam; as in regularly-shaped rectangular blocks of styrofoam for some purpose known only to whoever threw them away. I feel like some garbage back was accidentally opened somewhere and it was caught in a swell that brought it all to this beach. We found a complete set of tennis shoes, each mate far away from each other. I found several pieces of a deodorant stick shell, also far away from each other. We found a child's beach chair, an adult's beach chair, so many hypodermic needles and tiny plastic baggies, just... depressing. Top of the food chain, eh? More civilized, eh? For every bit of garbage I picked out, there was four more pieces of photodegraded plastic I couldn't reach or grasp. I'm very happy I went, it was still much fun for me, but very sad too. We walked the observation pier when we were done, to see "the difference", but I couldn't see one. Garbage floated in the areas we couldn't reach. Cigarette butts were half buried in the gravel we walked on. A young mangrove tree sprouted through the mouth of a milk jug I couldn't reach. We talk about saving the environment. I'll keep trying, but I don't think we can. Especially not when the people trying to save it are just as guilty as the people who aren't.


No comments:

Post a Comment