Saturday, September 7, 2013

Anthropology of Nature: Week 2 - 20130907

This blog entry is part of a project for a college course, Anthropology of Nature.

Some Class Reflections:

It was weird to have read the Milton chapters and felt like I completely grokked what was going on and what author was talking about and had absorbed the definitions and concepts, and then to have questions asked in class and realize I couldn't connect them to what I had read. It seems like it should be a simple question: "What is 'traditional'?" I offered an answer that it must somehow be connected with the author's concept of Ecosystem People vs Biosphere people (simple, local systems versus complex, global systems). It felt clumsy, for an answer, and was shot down. I shouldn't feel too bad, most of the rest of the class fumbled with it too. I think we came to the conclusion that 'Traditional' is a word that doesn't really mean anything. We tend to use it when referring to ethnic identity and habits, and apply some sort feel of indigeneity to it, but it's constructed. At least, that's the conclusion I came to.

Oh! I did find the Chapter 7 Townsend very interesting. (It's about the plight of a small Papua New Guinea tribe and issues resulting from large-scale mining near them.) Seriously last week I had an email from some indigenous-people's rights group talking about some IP tribes refusing to let a mining company use their area. I searched high and low in my email boxes, my browser histories, and just couldn't find it! UGH, it would have made SUCH a cool attachment to our presentation. "Look students! These fights are STILL going on!"

Observations of Environmental Anthropology in the Specimen "Me":

This week the Mission Green Student Association met for the first time of the semester. It was pretty cool! A couple new faces. So many people graduated though. Definitely need some new people. We talked about upcoming Green meetings and planned out personal goals (for ourselves within the club) and group goals (what we can help the group achieve). My latter goal is to try to bring in new environmentally-concious (or even curious) people, so I'm going to take the first step and announce the club in class. We're trying to get more interest in the FAU garden too, but from the way the Tortuga Trail seems to be ignored I'm not sure so many people will want to put actual work into a garden plot.

I find myself a little detached from things today, but probably because I've been nose-in-book all day. It rained, so I didn't get to spend as much time outside. I've just been so busy this week. I'm glad I made time for the meeting though. I wish I made time for some of my purposeful-reading; "The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw" is next on the list! Ah well.

Ethnography of the South Floridian:

Thursday's class occured the day after the MGSA meeting and I announced the MGSA table and club to the class as they were all packing up. I'm not sure most heard, and I'm sure most that heard didn't care (and are just there for their grade) but I did have two people interested. Funny, they are both people in my group. I did have one girl ask me about the beach cleanups, which was cool. I know that their attendance to a class with 'nature' in the name doesn't make them naturalists... well, ok, as anthropologists, they are, really, but, not non-human naturalist, heh. I didn't really have much chance to observe people this week. The second week of school overlapped with the beginning of my teaching practicum. The encounters in class and at club made me happier about the state of human-nature interaction though.

This entry feels thin. I'll have to try to make shorter entries more often, because I felt all revved up to write a few days ago, but I seem to have lost the content.


Instead I present some (smirk) naturalist observation about animal calls. Kinda.

*In case the embedding doesn't work, you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

No comments:

Post a Comment