Sunday, September 1, 2013

Anthropology of Nature: Getting a feel for the Nature Journal...

This blog entry is part of a project for a college course, Anthropology of Nature.

Some Class Reflections:

When I was younger I wanted to be a forensic anthropologist. I thought it was amusing when the author, Townsend, of 'Pigs to Policies' all but rolled her eyes at the notion that people hearing the word 'anthropologist' first think "bones and bodies" or forensic anthropology. Though I was honestly more interested in the bodies than any kind of linguistics or archaeology (though I love reading about archaeology) and therefore steered myself more towards Biology.

I think I still would have been happy in anthropology. I like to gripe about disliking "humans" but when I first started going to college I took as much psychology and religion courses as I could. People told me they were separate fields, even the teachers said they weren't connected. I always felt that you couldn't describe history or culture or gender views or anything else without seeing the interplay of religion (really a summary word for "all of our superstitions and cultural habits woven into a single cord"). Combine that with how these people interact with the world around them and bam! Basically, anthropology. Still, probably not as much formaldehyde as I'd prefer. Cest la vie. Maybe, as a second bachelors somewhere along the way.

Observations of Environmental Anthropology in the Specimen "Me":

I'm very excited about the upcoming beach cleanup in September. I was super excited to get to announce it to the class. I don't think the email I tried to send through Blackboard worked, since it sent it to me, but I'll try again. I'd love to get more of these kids to go help out, even if it's basically two-point bribery. Maybe they'll see how fun it is.

I want to use this subheading to analyze how my views change about nature and my role in it. I've been everything from a dirt-worshipping tree-hugger to as lazy as the modern man can be (being guilty of throwing away food is probably the epitome of wealth and laziness). I'm currently somewhere in the middle. The courses I've taken for my environmental science degree have left me a little cynical about some staples of "environmental friendliness", like recycling. I still want to save the world though.

Ethnography of the South Floridian:

I want to use this subheading to record information, cultural-anthropologist-style, about South Floridians. Specifically, I want to pay closer attention to how they interact with their natural environment. This might take some "sit time" in various places, and maybe I can apply it to "how many students trashed recyclable paper" etc. I want to try to focus each week's information gathering along the class themes for that week. This week we mentioned Economic systems altering the human-nature intersection previously in place. We also mentioned food taboos and "witches", but since this isn't any sort of religion or gender course I'll try to leave those alone.

Water bottles. Easy target. As I wrote this a student used the pop machine next to me to buy a bottle of water. Besides the fact that they're less regulated than the tap water (do so much poorer than tap water in microbacterial tests and contaminant tests) and so much more expensive than the literally* free water here at the school, she shoved her paper money into the machine to purchase water that media (the shaper of culture for good or ill) told her was cleaner and more convenient than the drinking fountain. The plastic bottle will be drained (probably) and then discarded. Hopefully it gets deposited into a recycle bin, but so little of it gets recycled anyway (le sigh). The technology (basically a windowed refrigerator) combined with the media imperative to buy SAFE and CONVENIENT water, has drawn people away from the safe and convenient water fountains.

*Literally* I use this in the honest dictionary term, not the new dictionary term "for emphasis". To the student the water in the fountain is free. Bring a reusable cup or sturdy non-BPA bottle and you could have all the free water you want, and all of it backed by EPA's water quality tests (conducted every few minutes due to the rate at which is flows through the pipelines, dontchaknow)!


Hmm. I think I'll end the journal there. Otherwise it'll become a rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment