Monday, November 11, 2013

Anthropology of Nature: Week 11 - 20131111

This blog entry is part of a project for the class Anthropology of Nature. 

Week 11, technically one day late, on a three day weekend. Eek.
However, I have much opportunity to view the interaction of humans and nature/environment this week. It's been a busy week.


I'd finished some volunteer time with the College of Science, and it landed me an interview with someone in the department about the Masters of Science in Environmental Science program (did I mention this yet...I'm pretty excited about it). I had been thinking about the program but also considered the Masters of Environmental Education (since my bachelors is actually an education degree. I haven't seen hard data for the latter, but the programs sound similar (from exploring the MSEnvSci and talking to someone in MSEnvEd). So similar that I think I would take whichever offered me an assistanceship. Boy, wouldn't that be nice...to get paid to go to school?

I also attended the Learn Green "Green Schools" Conference. I hadn't heard of it before but signed up and was pleasantly surprised. I actually collected a few lesson plans and Common Core ideas for integrating "greening" into the curriculum. I had the pleasure of two presentations by FAU researchers, both in Education but studying something related to "greening" (I'm still not really sure what that's supposed to be, in academic language). One studies the Leadership factor in Green Schools, and the other actually works with my academic advisor on creating and deploying a Climate Change curriculum based on NASA data. They were both very interesting lectures.
In fact, here's what I did:
  • 2013 Special Session: Green to the Core! – Sandy Jinks, Palm Springs Middle School, Alicia Marcarian, Palm Springs Middle School, Maureen O'Shea, Palm Springs Middle School, Thomas Salinski, School District of Palm Beach County, Wendy Spielmen, School District of Palm Beach County, Curriculum Integration.
    Come and learn from this engaging panel of school district administrators, principals and teachers who will share how a deeper understanding of Green Schools supports the Common Core initiatives and cross-curricular standards surrounding project-based learning.
  • CSI (CLIMATE SCIENCE INVESTIGATIONS): SOUTH FLORIDA - Alana Edwards, FAU's Center for Environmental Studies and Anne Henderson, FAU/Pine Jog Environmental Education Center Curriculum Integration
    Climate Science Investigations (CSI): South Florida is an online, interactive series of modules and teaching resources under development. This session reviews the Weather & Climate module. Participants gather evidence and play the role of scientist to support or refute skeptics’ claims by examining extreme weather events.
  • Kids Connections: Science and Nature - Mary Crider and Angelique Giraud, Arthur R. Marshall Foundation for The Everglades Curriculum Integration and Innovative Programs and Practices
    The Arthur R. Marshall Foundation delivers interactive Everglades science-based education for a range of learners. Discover opportunities and methods to connect kids with nature and promote ecoliteracy all while strengthening Common Core scientific concepts.
  • Leading for Regeneration and Sustainability in Schools: A Phenomenological Study of the Green Schools of Excellence in Palm Beach and Martin Counties - Dr. John Hardman, Florida Atlantic University Innovative Programs and Practices and School Sustainability.
    The purpose of this study is to understand and describe the attributes skills, and strategies of successful sustainability leaders (teachers and/or administrators) in Palm Beach and Martin County whose schools have been recognized as Green Schools of Excellence by the Palm Beach Green School Recognition Program. The study includes findings on the challenges and drivers administrators and teacher leaders have found along the way, and analyzes the potential of the Common Core State Standards to affect the ‘sustainability gains’ that have been made to date.
  • Water Ventures - Amy Glover and Sarah Todd, Water Ventures Curriculum Integration Water Ventures, Florida's learning lab brings the story of Florida's biodiversity, hydrogeology, and watershed stewardship to life.
    Receive an overview of the educational and engaging science activities that are available, for free, to students in Florida when Water Ventures visits their schools and communities.
There were so many classes to choose from, it was hard to pick. I knew I wanted the Leadership one and the CSI (it sounded familiar, though I didn't immediately put it together that it was Dr. Lambert's work!)
HUGE bonus. The vegetarian lunch was actually lunch. Did I complain about the Leadership Conference vegetarian lunch? An empty side salad with 2 tbsp of dressing, no veggies or any of the cookie sides that the meat-sandwich-lunches had? Well at the Learn Green conference they had Whole Foods cater, so I got a mozzarella and tomato wrap with tomato pesto, a side salad, a fruit side, unsweetened lemoned ice tea, and an apple. Now THAT'S how you feed a hungry vegetarian.

It was so interesting to see so many educators interested in "greening" education. I even saw a lot of the science teachers from my Internship school! The best conversation I had was actually with a pair of elderly birders from Audubon Everglades. I mentioned the euthanizing of invasive bird eggs, in what I thought was a quite typical conversation on field methods of ornithological study on invasive bird interactions) and their jaws all but hit the floor. "You KILL them??" It was like I just said I was killing young immigrant children. "BUT WHY??" I tried explain the rationale behind it (which I'm not completely sure I accept myself, though I understand it is a rationale held by many). I later retold the story to my husband but was able to explain it as "weed birds" vs "flower birds", which I wish I would have used in the Audubon conversation.

I feel like I did finally get them to understand, if not accept, the rationale. Very interesting; they love the environment and feel connected to the birds. They seem to be active in the "preserve/conserve" aspect of environment, but apparently only in a very hands-off way. I would presume a birder that loves native birds to be at least understanding of an effort to remove invasive birds that threaten those native birds. They had a rather different opinion, especially when it came to the admittedly beautiful, though wholly violent, European Starling. Impossible to eradicate at this time, they may be the most beautiful of birds, but I've seen videos where they stab their inch long beak deep into the hearts of other birds, repeatedly, to steal their nestbox. I shudder to imagine it.

The whole day (today) was interesting. And it makes me very excited to meet new people in an Env Sci masters with such varied opinions, and having such interesting reasoning behind them.
I can play Where's Waldo with myself! Clue: I drink out of a purple
coffee press.
http://news.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/pao/2013/11/15/
over-900-participants-attend-5th-annual-learn-green-conference/

No comments:

Post a Comment